Saturday, September 3, 2022

Mt Bierstadt

 Date of Trip: 3 September 2022
Climbers: Travis, Clara, Trevor, and G
Location: Front Range, CO, USA
Trailhead: Guanella Pass
Summit Objective: Mt. Bierstadt
Total Time: 7.0 hours
Summit: Bierstadt at 14,065'
Ele. Gain: 2850 feet
Distance: 7.5 mile



Written by Travis

Clara and I headed back to the mountains today to climb 14er Mt. Bierstadt. This time we invited Clara's classmate and carpool buddy G and his dad Trevor. It was Clara's 4th 14er and G's first.  They were both rock stars. 

We arrived at the trailhead at 720am, and sort of amazingly were still able to park fairly close to the trailhead, albeit along the road.  We were on the trail at 730. 

We soon got to see a moose foraging among the willows.  I don't think I've ever seen a moose while climbing a 14er.  To be fair, we wouldn't have seen this one, except some other people had tracked it all morning with a telescope as it wandered from the lake, so we knew where to look.  

We then kept moving through the willows. There are boardwalks now that make it so easy. "Back in my day" finding your way through the willows was literally the crux of the route!  

The trail was packed as usual. Owing to the proximity to Denver, and its relative ease, it's one of the most climbed 14ers. We don't go for solitude.

In addition to my first moose sighting, I also saw my first supplemental oxygen use on a 14er.  You read that right.  A woman was carrying a small canister with a mouth piece as she was slogging up the trail.  I didn't see her use it, but she had it at the ready! (Another guy had one in the pocket of his pack on the way down, kind of like you would carry bear spray.) Now mind you, I just had a friend from MIT climb K2 --  the second tallest mountain in the world, literally twice as high at 28,000' -- WITHOUT SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN. But here we are.  

We kept going up. The kids started slowing down, so I busted out the energy chews (basically gummies for adults). That did the trick. Then we reached the summit ridge, and the Class II to the top began. It's funny how Clara can be dragging, but as soon as we transition from boring hiking to rock scrambling, she finds her next gear. "Dad, can we just do more of this?"

We summited shortly before noon, and commenced celebrating G's first 14er. And Clara's 4th (including 3 within 8 days). 

Even before making it to the top, G had declared his goal of climbing all 58 Colorado 14ers by the time he's 41. He also told us (a few times) that this was "the most wonderful thing he has ever done in his life." 

It took me back to my first time summiting a 14er (Mt Elbert, 2000).  And all the friends of mine who climbed their first 14er on a trip with me.  And how he'll probably remember this day for the rest of his life. And how at this point, that's the stuff I really care about. Me summiting this peak for the 3rd time (or is it 4?) is kind of secondary.

The weather was just about perfect, zero wind, so we hung out for nearly 30 mins. The voice in my head said you know better than this.... 

And sure enough, that voice was soon telling me "I told you so" when it started clouding up big time.  Then it was thundering. We were well on our way down by now, nearly off the eastern shoulder, mostly safe, but it was still unnerving. Clara and I started jogging down the trail. We were back in the willows as it started to rain and then pea-size hail. There was occasional lightning on the ridges around us, none too close. I'll have to add this to the list of peaks I've been stormed off (Holy Cross, Crestone Needle, maybe more)

We made it back to the van at 230pm, 7 hours after setting out. G and Trevor soon followed.






No comments:

Post a Comment